Debt issues are one of the most prevalent questions that hotline advocates are receiving today. We hear things like “I need to file bankruptcy” or “I need a bankruptcy attorney to help me.” As a hotline advocate, you need to understand the legal concepts and practical considerations before you try to help a client in this situation. This webinar is designed to help.
After completing this 90 minute webinar, you will understand:
- the different types of personal bankruptcy,
- the basics of the general exemptions,
- draft compelling “good stories”; and
- the bankruptcy process,
- the alternatives to bankruptcy,
- the “get out of debt” scams,
- ensuring you have all of the information necessary to advise on this issue,
- the practical advice and instructions that hotline advocates can give clients regarding bankruptcy, and
- when to refer the client for more extensive service.
- John Rao is an attorney at the National Consumer Law Center. John focuses on consumer credit and bankruptcy issues and has served as a panelist and instructor at numerous bankruptcy and consumer law trainings and conferences.
- Kari Deming is the managing attorney at the Counsel and Advocacy Law Line. Kari and her staff have helped thousands of clients with bankruptcy questions, and she brings a very practical approach to dealing with these complex issues.